Medical Massage for pain relief and injury rehabilitation
3718 Campus Blvd. NE; Albuquerque, NM 87106. (505) 280-4195
I’ve been practicing Massage Therapy since 1983. I currently specialize in clinical pain relief and injury rehabilitation (a.k.a. “medical massage”) for a variety of acute and chronic problems like
car wrecks and whiplash,
migraines and other headaches,
TMJ disorders, chronic pain, sciatica,
sports injuries, scoliosis, frozen shoulder,
plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.
People come to me because they hurt! I can almost always help regardless of the source, severity, or duration of the pain.
I am certified in advanced myofascial techniques [CAMT] by Advanced-Trainings. I can bill car insurance if you’ve been in an accident, and I take letters of protection from attorneys in personal injury cases. I know from personal experience that when you’ve been in a car wreck, the last thing you need is to be paying out-of-pocket for your medical bills! Health insurance rarely pays for massage; however, you’re probably better off paying out of pocket except in rare circumstances. I will bill health insurance and Workers’ Compensation with a pre-authorization and prescription. Many of my clients use Medical Savings Accounts (MSA’s) to pay for therapeutic services with pre-tax money.
When I first looked into natural healing more than 30 years ago, I had no idea that touch therapy was my true calling, not just as a way of making a living, but also as a way being in the world. I just wanted to study something that would keep my interest long enough to finish a course of study! After working in the field for a few years, I soon became bored with general relaxation massage, particularly the standardized “fluff ‘n buff” treatments common in spas. I wasn’t given these gifts to pamper the rich. Rather, I believe that I am here to relieve suffering in the world however I can. As it turns out, I’m really talented at easing pain and trauma using my hands. I soon got a reputation in the hotel I worked at in Santa Fe as the “go-to guy” for guests with specific complaints, and I gained experience treating clients with painful injuries. After being in a serious car wreck, I developed great empathy for people who have experienced trauma, and I began to learn what does and does not work for treating serious injuries. Similarly, I have suffered from headaches all my life. Naturally I learned effective techniques to treat them. Now I have great success ameliorating even full-blown migraines. When I had an overuse tendinitis injury, I learned how to treat tendinitis and repetitive use injuries. The process continues to this day; every time I hurt myself I learn something new! Of course, being hurt myself is not the only way I learn. I’ve taken some excellent classes, and I learn something from every client I treat. Clients often come to me with symptoms I’ve just learned to identify and treat.
I am an intuitive therapist. My hands know what to do, and after all this time I’ve learned to get my head out of the way. Of course, I have a wealth of knowledge and experience to inform my intuition, along with a wide variety of techniqies I’ve accumulated in my journey. There is no one path to healing; different things work for different people. I do know a few things, though. Gentleness and sensitivity to my clients’ needs are fundamental to the healing process. Locating the precise source of your pain allows me to eliminate it more quickly, with less discomfort during the process. More trauma does not heal trauma, and you know your body far better than I do. If the massage hurts too much I am probably working too deeply, too rapidly, or both. I usually discern subtle cues quickly, but if I don’t respond to your distress, please let me know right away. I do the work for your benefit, not for my ego. Together we will find the right blend of technique, pressure, and pace to best suit your needs at any given moment.
- 1984 BS degree in Natural Health Education from Heartwood Institute in Garberville, CA. The coursework included 1000 hours of Massage Therapy training.
- 1989-2011 Clinical rehabilitation practice in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, specializing in treating clients with chronic pain and injuries from motor vehicle accidents.
- 1990-1 Co-author of the NM Massage Therapy Practice Act.
- 1992 Awarded NM Massage License #8.
- 1994-2011 Co-author of and contributor to the NM Massage Therapy Board Rules.
- 1996 Awarded NM Massage Therapy Instructor Registration #I-112.
- 1998 BUS in Biology from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM. The coursework included Human Anatomy and Physiology with a cadaver lab, Microbiology, Microbial Physiology, Molecular Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Immunology.
- 2009 Certified in Advanced Myofascial Techniques by Advanced-Trainings. The 100+ hours of coursework included theory and technique, assessment, acute and chronic whiplash, TMJ disorders, and scoliosis.
- 2011 Royal Warrant: Clinical Massage Therapy by appointment to the Queen & King of the May, granted 2011.